List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olav Sandstaa Date:October 17 2008 12:21pm
Subject:Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message written
independently of falcon-debug-mask
View as plain text
Based on the discussion we have had by email about writing to MySQL's
error log file and my need for always getting the error message about
problems to the serial log written independently of what the status of
the --falcon-debug-mask is, I propose following extention to the Log::
interface:

Alterantive 1 (based on Ann's suggestions in an earlier email):
===========

 * Introduce a new log category called "Fatal" (or something similar)
that always get written to the error log independently of what the user
has specified in the --falcon-debug-mask.
 * Example:

       Log::log(Fatal, "This text will always go to the error log file\n");

    Note: This log category will possibly be documented in the MySQL
documentation along with the others, but the user not be allowed to turn
it off if she sets a debug-mask that does not enable it.

Alternative 2:
==========

  * Extend the Log:: interface with a new method called fatal() (or
error()) that will always write the message to the error log file
  * Example:

      Log::fatal("This text will always go to the error log file, and by
the way Falcon has just crashed\n");

      or

      Log::error("This text will always go to the error log file, and by
the way Falcon has just crashed\n");

  * "Advantage" of this is that it does not interfere with the
falcon-debug-mask and the user visibility of this.

Any strong preference for any of these? Any feedback or other suggestions?

PS: This is not about printf and clashes with the server's log writing,
it is just to define an interface that can be used for messages that we
want to get out with having the user needing to specify an appropriate
debug flag .

Regards,
Olav

PS A bonus proposal: I consider removing the implementation of
Log::print() as it uses printf directly if there is no particular use
for it (I do not think it is used anywhere)

Thread
Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskOlav Sandstaa17 Oct
  • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskJim Starkey17 Oct
    • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskAnn W. Harrison17 Oct
    • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskOlav Sandstaa10 Mar
      • Please review implementation of WL#4380 (Hooks for crashing Falcon andits recovery)Vladislav Vaintroub10 Mar
      • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskVladislav Vaintroub10 Mar
        • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskOlav Sandstaa15 Mar
          • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskOlav Sandstaa23 Jun
            • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskKevin Lewis23 Jun
            • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskVladislav Vaintroub23 Jun
      • Re: Proposal: extension to Log interface to get error message writtenindependently of falcon-debug-maskJim Starkey10 Mar