List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matt.Ingenthron Date:December 19 2008 6:18pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
On 12/19/08 09:49, Roy Lyseng wrote:
> Tim Soderstrom wrote:
>>

>> I'd say controlling the buffer pool is more important really. Without
>> that, another user can thrash the buffer pool with a few silly
>> queries and make it painful for the rest of the users on the system.
>
> For even better control, fire up a Solaris zone and a database
> instance inside it. Then you can control IP, disk quota, memory usage,
> CPU, etc, and probably simpler than partitioning the database server...

Actually, zones aren't even required (it's just a useful abstraction).
In fact, I did a small blog on this when helping someone with their
memory problems recently:
http://blogs.sun.com/mingenthron/entry/restricting_mysql_memory_with_solaris

Having said that, I still tend to agree with Tim.  Even with good OS
level resource controls, it's easy to find use cases where application
level resource controls are required.  Still, isn't the point right now
simplicity and clean implementation?  Leaving room for the
implementation of resource controls on shared resources like the buffer
pool probably make sense (if required), even though it'll take someone
interested in that feature to go implement it.

- Matt

--
Matt Ingenthron
http://blogs.sun.com/mingenthron/

Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec