List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Soderstrom Date:December 19 2008 5:52pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
On Dec 19, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Roy Lyseng wrote:

> Tim Soderstrom wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Brian Aker wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> Except for the disk space limitations, I am 90% sure I could write
>>> a module that did this today. The only thing I could not control
>>> is the Innodb buffer size... for that I believe I need Innodb to
>>> be able to handle multiple contexts.
>> I'd say controlling the buffer pool is more important really.
>> Without that, another user can thrash the buffer pool with a few
>> silly queries and make it painful for the rest of the users on the
>> system.
>
> For even better control, fire up a Solaris zone and a database
> instance inside it. Then you can control IP, disk quota, memory
> usage, CPU, etc, and probably simpler than partitioning the database
> server...

Yeah, but that's basically virtualizing or user-mode segmentation type
stuff it sounds like. We can do that today but there's overhead in
managing all that. And MySQL starts competing with itself for
resources. What if you have, say, 200 customers on one box, for
instance. That's a ton of VMs or slices to mess around with. Granted,
the solution works today and it's less complicated than inventing a
new way of doing something like this, but you take a pretty big
penalty for doing that I'd say.

Tim S.
Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec