List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Roy Lyseng Date:December 19 2008 9:33am
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text

Brian Aker wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Tim Soderstrom wrote:
>
>> We were pondering this at work and I think it might be pretty neat.
>> Consider the case where multiple users might live on a server (say a
>> shared hosting environment). Being able to assign a db to each user
>> and allow them to make their own schema under that db would be pretty
>> neat! (Each DB would probably be associated with a website in this
>> example).
>

> What you are describing is exactly what I had imagined when we were
> working on the auth system. I've been thinking we would see a number of
> deployments where users were assigned schemas that they controlled (aka
> could create tables in), but could not join to tables beyond their
> current schema. We will need to work this out with I_S... but it is very
> doable.
>
> The step I have been thinking about beyond this is to allow different
> Innodb instances per schema/catalog. This way you can say "user A gets 2
> gigs, while user B gets 4, and user C has access only to the shared
> Innodb pool". I want more controls for multiple tenancy usage.

Is it not easier to limit that on a tablespace level?

Assign one tablespace per user with some fixed maximum disk space.

Make sure that a user only sees the database objects (schemata, tables,
tablespaces, ...) that (s)he has access to. (hopefully this is already
implemented in MySQL/Drizzle - I did not check...)

Thanks,
Roy
Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec