List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Soderstrom Date:December 19 2008 1:28am
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
On Dec 18, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Brian Aker wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Tim Soderstrom wrote:
>
>> We were pondering this at work and I think it might be pretty neat.
>> Consider the case where multiple users might live on a server (say
>> a shared hosting environment). Being able to assign a db to each
>> user and allow them to make their own schema under that db would be
>> pretty neat! (Each DB would probably be associated with a website
>> in this example).
>

> What you are describing is exactly what I had imagined when we were
> working on the auth system. I've been thinking we would see a number
> of deployments where users were assigned schemas that they
> controlled (aka could create tables in), but could not join to
> tables beyond their current schema. We will need to work this out
> with I_S... but it is very doable.
>
> The step I have been thinking about beyond this is to allow
> different Innodb instances per schema/catalog. This way you can say
> "user A gets 2 gigs, while user B gets 4, and user C has access only
> to the shared Innodb pool". I want more controls for multiple
> tenancy usage.

w00t! That's a terrific idea! Man that makes me kinda excited! I
certainly would love to see that in Drizzle!

Out of curiosity, I noticed you mentioned InnoDB specifically, so I
assume that this is likely to be engine-specific? Or would this be
something added to the pluggable API that engines could, optionally,
implement?

Tim S.
Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec