List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stewart Smith Date:December 19 2008 12:49am
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 06:06:19PM -0500, Jim Starkey wrote:
> Hurray!  Hurray!  Sanity prevails!

Better nip that in the bud... quickly.

> Has anyone given any deep thought to the database / schema issue?  In
> MySQL, schema is a synonym for database (I presume for a checkmark on
> somebody's database comparison grid).   It would be nice to know what
> semantics attach to database, what semantics attach to a schema, and,
> maybe, recognize that they aren't two names for the same thing.

If by "deep" you mean "shallow", then sure!

This is the time you all make fun of me for my lack of SQL knowledge.

Am i correct here: multiple schemas in a database. database has default
schema.

so it's another namespace thing.

db/schema/table

and  mysql effecively is just db/DEFAULT/table with no wayto change from
DEFAULT?

Is this something people want?

i think it wouldn't be too hard after i finish with the frm removal....

plan is to have a struct/object (okay, several.. but for different
encodings of names so that you can't get it wrong in code) for table
names.

So adding another field wouldn't be too much work.

You'd just have to add a workaround or two for the engines that don't
have the concept of schema.
--
Stewart Smith
Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec