List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:December 18 2008 11:06pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
Brian Aker wrote:
> Hi!
> On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Jim Starkey wrote:
>
>> Now, all that said, I wish each engine had a directory under the
>> datadir to avoid cross engine confusion.  I regret that it is
>> probably too late to introduce this now.
>

> Not for us :)
>
> Stewart is working out what to pass engines for discovery. Right now I
> believe the current plans were to pass database and tablename... aka
> no longer pass in "directory path"
>
> So it should now be viable for an engine to decide to keep its files
> to itself.

Hurray!  Hurray!  Sanity prevails!

Has anyone given any deep thought to the database / schema issue?  In
MySQL, schema is a synonym for database (I presume for a checkmark on
somebody's database comparison grid).   It would be nice to know what
semantics attach to database, what semantics attach to a schema, and,
maybe, recognize that they aren't two names for the same thing.

Or is this asking for too much?

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec