List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:December 18 2008 10:33pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:16:40PM -0500, Jim Starkey wrote:
>
>> Tim Soderstrom wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I definitely agree that databases should be decoupled from
>>> directories, and that engines should have places to put stuff. I
>>> logged a feature request bug for MySQL (41306) on this issue in case
>>> anyone wants to se my crazy hair-brained ideas about that :) I think
>>> having an engine have it's own subdir (say $datadir/engines/$engine)
>>> is almost more important even. Otherwise, $datadir is just going to
>>> get trashed with all sorts of random files; or it will become more
>>> confusing to have to track which files go to which engine that could
>>> live anywhere on the file-system.
>>>

>> That is an excellent idea!  Is it too late for MySQL 6.0?
>>

> For falcon you could have a falcon directory in datadir (as PBXT does)
> but this will show up in SHOW DATABASES as there's no way of setting
> anything to be ignored (and even then, it'll still pollute the namespace).

The Falcon unit of storage isn't the database (aka schema) but
tablespace.   Since the purpose of tablespace is to put different tables
on different devices, it is orthogonal to database/schema.

Now, all that said, I wish each engine had a directory under the datadir
to avoid cross engine confusion.  I regret that it is probably too late
to introduce this now.

While I don't expect to ever have a Nimbus storage engine for drizzle
(though a lot of other things I thought equally unlikely have happened),
Nimbus would have no foot print on the MySQL server disk whatsoever.
Ponder that!

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec