List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stewart Smith Date:December 18 2008 10:19pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:16:40PM -0500, Jim Starkey wrote:
> Tim Soderstrom wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:
>>> But at some point "soon", CREATE DATABASE will *not* map to mkdir.
>>>
>>> possibly we should even move to having each engine have a subdir in
>>> datadir for their own stuff so as to not get in the way of each other...
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I definitely agree that databases should be decoupled from
>> directories, and that engines should have places to put stuff. I
>> logged a feature request bug for MySQL (41306) on this issue in case
>> anyone wants to se my crazy hair-brained ideas about that :) I think
>> having an engine have it's own subdir (say $datadir/engines/$engine)
>> is almost more important even. Otherwise, $datadir is just going to
>> get trashed with all sorts of random files; or it will become more
>> confusing to have to track which files go to which engine that could
>> live anywhere on the file-system.
>>

> That is an excellent idea!  Is it too late for MySQL 6.0?

For falcon you could have a falcon directory in datadir (as PBXT does)
but this will show up in SHOW DATABASES as there's no way of setting
anything to be ignored (and even then, it'll still pollute the namespace).

--
Stewart Smith
Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec