List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:December 17 2008 11:16pm
Subject:Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databases
View as plain text
Tim Soderstrom wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Stewart Smith wrote:
>> But at some point "soon", CREATE DATABASE will *not* map to mkdir.
>>
>> possibly we should even move to having each engine have a subdir in
>> datadir for their own stuff so as to not get in the way of each other...
>
> +1
>
> I definitely agree that databases should be decoupled from
> directories, and that engines should have places to put stuff. I
> logged a feature request bug for MySQL (41306) on this issue in case
> anyone wants to se my crazy hair-brained ideas about that :) I think
> having an engine have it's own subdir (say $datadir/engines/$engine)
> is almost more important even. Otherwise, $datadir is just going to
> get trashed with all sorts of random files; or it will become more
> confusing to have to track which files go to which engine that could
> live anywhere on the file-system.

That is an excellent idea!  Is it too late for MySQL 6.0?

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Thread
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith18 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey18 Dec
      • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
        • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMonty Taylor19 Dec
          • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesJim Starkey19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesStewart Smith19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
  • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesRoy Lyseng19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesTim Soderstrom19 Dec
      • resource controls in the DB (was Re: [Drizzle-discuss] droppingdatabases)Matt.Ingenthron19 Dec
    • Re: [Drizzle-discuss] dropping databasesMatt.Ingenthron19 Dec