List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:December 12 2008 3:20pm
Subject:Re: Lock Waits
View as plain text
Falcon uses a user mode SyncObject for thread synchronization.
SyncObject is portable, supports read/write locks, and handles
recursion.  It is also fair in the sense that locks are granted in the
order requested.  Instrumenting pthread mutex and rwlocks does nothing
for Falcon.

As for the callback during monitoring, there are at least three (no!
four!) reasons
why it is desirable, if not necessary:

   1. A goal is to be unobtrusive as possible when monitoring is
      compiled in but turned off.  Adding memory for monitoring to the
      objects monitored bulks them up, changing the profile of memory
      usage.  Since Falcon allocates hundreds of thousand of SyncObjects
      (one per buffer in the page cache), this can amount to a
      significant amount of memory.  Allocating memory only for actual
      monitored objects mitigates this problem.
   2. It isn't enough to monitor usage.  You also have to be able to
      collect the data.  Without a central registry of monitored object,
      how are you going to collect the data for reporting?  In some
      cases, the monitored object themselves may have been deleted.
      Without that data, how can someone draw accurate conclusions?
   3. Potential deadlock analysis is a difficult but necessary process.
      Centralizing monitoring allows collection of data on overlapping
      locks, data that can reveal potential deadlocks.
   4. A central monitoring facility can track locks on a per thread
basis.  Handling this in target objects is expensive in code, effort,
debugging, and resource utilization.

I'm hope your message was in the spirit of on-going discussion rather
than the delivery of stone tablets memorializing decisions made.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Thread