List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:December 11 2008 2:57pm
Subject:Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]
View as plain text
Please add .fts to all tablespace file names that don't already end in
.fts (when cresting new ones).  It needs to be backwardly compatible to
open existing tablespaces.

Sergey Vojtovich wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> it would pretty nice to create files without delete permission, but how is
> it achievable? E.g. on linux/ext2 there're two options: unset parent
> directory write access or use chattr +a. Both seem to be something
> that we can't use.
>
> Anyway... any decision on this issue? Does anybody want to say the final
> word? :)
>
> Regards,
> Sergey
>
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 04:30:04PM -0500, Jim Starkey wrote:
>> Ann W. Harrison wrote:

> names
>>> Actually, I'm in favor of adding .fts to all tablespace file names
>>> that don't already end in .fts.  So tablespace.awh would become
>>> tablespace.awh.fts, and tablespace.MYI would become tablespace.MYI.fts.
>>> What I don't know is whether there are any supported operating systems
>>> that are strict about the number of extensions on a file.  DOS did,
>>> and so did VAX/VMS, but those are both ancient history, saints be
>>> praised!

>>> Maybe we could prevail on the server not to delete pre-existing files
>>> when creating tables and partitions.  We don't delete pre-existing
>>> files when creating tablespaces ...
>> Maybe we should get sneaky and create all Falcon files without delete
>> permission, turning delete back on when we are good and ready to delete
>> files.  Any reasonably privileged user could do the same thing, but he'd
>> have to think twice about what he was doing.  But it will protect Falcon
>> users from the server unless the server picks up the same trick.
>>

>> --
>> Jim Starkey
>> President, NimbusDB, Inc.
>> 978 526-1376

Thread
Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Jim Starkey29 Nov
Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Kevin Lewis11 Dec
RE: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Vladislav Vaintroub11 Dec
  • Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Jim Starkey11 Dec