List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Stoev Date:December 9 2008 5:24pm
Subject:Re: Memory, Falcon, and $$$
View as plain text
Hello.

I totally understand your argument, however you are buying bulk generic
memory. You also bought whitebox machines when you bought the servers
themselves for less than $2000 each. Unfortunately the economics is a bit
different in the corporate world. People still have very expensive 80gig
SCSI RAID arrays out there.

The cheapest Xeon server Sun sells retails for $3,435.28 with 4 GB of
memory, about twice as much as a simularily-configured whitebox server. The
next 8GB of memory costs USD $600 (six hundred united states currency).

I totally agree that we should not make any sacrifices in order to have
Falcon perform well in 32Mb. However, I am not sure if any of those outcomes
are acceptable:
* Refusing to execute a query that Innodb would execute and error with an
out-of-memory condition;
* Experience a performance degradation worse than one that would happen due
to OS trashing;
* Crash or unable to recover;

Philip Stoev