List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:December 9 2008 12:07am
Subject:Re: [Fwd: Real-World Concurrency]
View as plain text
On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Jim Starkey <jstarkey@stripped> wrote:
> Kevin Lewis wrote:
>>
>> Jim, We would really like to see your response to this.

I hacked --with-fast-mutexes to do this for MySQL 5.1 with
pthread_mutex_t, but only for performance debugging builds. So I don't
mind the overhead that much and if you look at the code path layered
on top of this, it doesn't add much. But your SyncObjects might not be
as heavy.

> I do disagree with his analysis of read/write vs. mutex.  Yes, a read lock
> costs just as much as mutex, but that isn't the point.  The point is that
> read locks don't block other readers, and when read locks predominate, this
> is a huge win.  Do noote, however, that the SyncObject is designed to handle
> the recursion problem that they describe.  That, in fact, was the other
> prime motivator for SyncObject.
>
> I do wish that a way could be found to move DTrace in Linux.  The GPL
> license issue is infuriating: Linux can take DTrace under GPL because they
> would have to publish any changes to DTrace under the original DTrace
> license, and GPL doesn't permit giving back.   Grrrr.

Double grrr.  I have spent the past week working part-time trying to
find out what a certain storage engine is not as fast as I want it to
be on a certain workload. It isn't CPU bound. It is wall clock bound,
at least I need to figure out where the wall clock time is spent.
Guess, rerun, guess, rerun, wish for OpenSolaris, rerun.

> Another thing worth looking at is explicit per-thread structures like
> MemThreadCache.  No locking is very cheap locking.
>
> I think you guys are missing something important by not exploring cycle
> locking.  It's a very powerful tool.  I'm using it in Nimbus with great
> success.   The water's warm, come on in.

What is cycle locking?