List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olav Sandstaa Date:December 3 2008 1:25pm
Subject:Re: Request for review: New dependency manager - patch 0
View as plain text
Hi,

Based on comments from Kevin I have made an updated version of the
dependency manager patch:

  http://lists.mysql.com/commits/60488

which replaces the previous committed patch.

Changes in this patch compared to the previous patch are only minor:

  -uses the transactionId as "start event" instead of having a separate
start event
  -renamed commitEvent to commitId.

Olav

Olav Sandstaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Sorry to those who have gotten an almost identical email about this
> already.
> I have now run this patch in pushbuild and think it is ready for an
> official review.
> Thanks to Kevin who already have provided feedback on the patch. His
> comments
> will be included in follow-up patches.]
>
> I have committed the initial implementation of a new transaction
> dependency manager for Falcon. The patch is available here:
>
> http://lists.mysql.com/commits/60279
>
> I have opened a worklog for the new dependency manager. This currently
> only contains a high-level description of the dependency manager but
> should still be read before reading the patch:
>
>  http://forge.mysql.com/worklog/task.php?id=4654
>
> The patch includes the basic implementation of the new dependency
> manager. I have tried to not do too much changes in how it is used. It
> should be fully functional and hopefully both correct and
> robust. Still there are some changes and optimizations that I plan to
> commit in separate patches.
>
> A description of the patch:
>
> New datastructures (three new integers):
>
> 1. The transaction manager has gotten a "transition event counter"
> (named transitionEventSequence). This is incremented each time a
> transaction either starts or commits (not for rollback).
>
> 2. The transaction object have gotten two new members. startEvent and
> commitEvent. These are assigned values from the
> transictionEventSequence when the transaction starts and when it commits.
>
> These replace the old transaction manager's states array and
> dependencies counter.
>

> Handling of read-only transaction:
> ==================================
>
> Much of the complexity of the old dependency manager was caused due to
> having to optimize for read-only transactions. This will be much
> simpler with the new dependency manager since there is no data
> structures "pointing between transactions". Still, in this patch the
> optimization for read-only transactions is not included and all
> transaction goes through the regular commit code path (which is good
> for testing of it).
>
> Thus: Transaction::commitNoUpdate() is currently not called.
>

> Transaction::commitRecords and removal of transaction objects:
>
> Calling Transaction::commitRecords and checking for deleting of old
> transaction objects was done at least 4-5 places in the old
> implementation. In the new implementation this is done in only one
> place (I think). The only place this is done now is in
> TransactionManager::purgeTransaction() which is run by the scavenger
> thread. The reason for having it in purgeTransaction() is that this is
> also the place where the old dependency manager had a similar test. I
> plan to move this to Transaction::commit() in the next patch (if it
> does not have negative effect on performance to do this check on every
> commit).

> [...]

Thread
Request for review: New dependency manager - patch 0Olav Sandstaa3 Dec
  • Re: Request for review: New dependency manager - patch 0Olav Sandstaa3 Dec