List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:November 29 2008 9:30pm
Subject:Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]
View as plain text
Ann W. Harrison wrote:

> Actually, I'm in favor of adding .fts to all tablespace file names
> that don't already end in .fts.  So tablespace.awh would become
> tablespace.awh.fts, and tablespace.MYI would become tablespace.MYI.fts.
> What I don't know is whether there are any supported operating systems
> that are strict about the number of extensions on a file.  DOS did,
> and so did VAX/VMS, but those are both ancient history, saints be
> praised!
>
> Vlad wrote:
>
>> The thing with the bug is that so far there is nothing falcon that would
>> prevent creating  tablespace named t1.MYI or t1.par or whatever
>> extensions
>> server is using for different purposes.
>

> Maybe we could prevail on the server not to delete pre-existing files
> when creating tables and partitions.  We don't delete pre-existing
> files when creating tablespaces ...

Maybe we should get sneaky and create all Falcon files without delete
permission, turning delete back on when we are good and ready to delete
files.  Any reasonably privileged user could do the same thing, but he'd
have to think twice about what he was doing.  But it will protect Falcon
users from the server unless the server picks up the same trick.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.

Thread
Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Jim Starkey29 Nov
Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Kevin Lewis11 Dec
RE: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Vladislav Vaintroub11 Dec
  • Re: [Fwd: Bug 32398]Jim Starkey11 Dec