List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:October 6 2008 7:26pm
Subject:Re: Understanding RefCounts in Falcon
View as plain text
 >> Kevin Lewis wrote;
>> The advantage of targeted reference counting is performance.
>> The advantage of smart pointers is stability.

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Vladislav Vaintroub <wlad@stripped> wrote:
> I'm about to give up. All discussions during Boston meeting are in vain.
> References are non-existent feature of C++ and it is not possible to prevent
> copying and object when it is passed as function parameter. Therefore  smart
> pointers are slow.

Vlad, your sarcasm may have been misunderstood.  C++ does support
passing references and this can be done to smart pointers without
causing an interlocked increment between functions.  But I was talking
about multiple copies of pointers within functions and using them for
some duration of time, even in sub-functions.  Targeted reference
counting can reduce interlocked increments even if passing pointers by
reference.

Do you think this is negligible or can be worked around somehow?

Thread
Understanding RefCounts in FalconKevin Lewis6 Oct
  • RE: Understanding RefCounts in FalconVladislav Vaintroub6 Oct
    • Re: Understanding RefCounts in FalconMARK CALLAGHAN6 Oct
      • RE: Understanding RefCounts in FalconVladislav Vaintroub6 Oct
      • Re: Understanding RefCounts in FalconKevin Lewis6 Oct
        • RE: Understanding RefCounts in FalconVladislav Vaintroub6 Oct
          • Re: Understanding RefCounts in FalconKevin Lewis6 Oct
            • RE: Understanding RefCounts in FalconVladislav Vaintroub7 Oct
              • Re: Understanding RefCounts in FalconJim Starkey7 Oct