List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ann W. Harrison Date:November 15 2008 1:42pm
Subject:Re: An interesting backup/restore problem with tablespaces
View as plain text
Hi Ingo!
>> Suppose a database D ...

the tablespace is reused to hold a tablespace with a different
name.

> IMHO there is no problem. At least nothing special to tablespaces.
>
> You can construct like conflicts with most object types. The problem is
> with the user who reuses names for different things between backup and
> restore.

Saying that the problem is the user makes sense in some cases, but
restoring over an existing database is a very destructive operation
and if it fails, leaves almost nothing.  That's a high price for
the system to pay for the carelessness of some privileged user.

> I don't think we can ever guarantee that restore will work regardless of
> what the users changes since backup.

> However, if you want to say that this is one of the cases that we should
> be able to deal with, then it's something different.

I'd like to see that change managed - perhaps by recreating the
tablespace in a system-generated uniquely named file.

Best,

Ann
Thread
An interesting backup/restore problem with tablespacesAnn W. Harrison15 Nov
  • Re: An interesting backup/restore problem with tablespacesIngo Strüwing15 Nov
    • Re: An interesting backup/restore problem with tablespacesAnn W. Harrison15 Nov