List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vladislav Vaintroub Date:November 7 2008 1:44pm
Subject:Question on The 3 phases Of Recovery
View as plain text
Hi,
Since I cannot find a good Falcon internals documentation and cannot make
use of sparse comments,
I fallback to Chris' blog that explains Falcon recovery (Chris, much thanks
for putting docu on the Web:)):

Phase I: Take Inventory, Establish State
- Determine transaction states
- Determine object states (track state transitions, record final state)
- Determine the last checkpointed record (prior objects guaranteed on disk)

Phase II: Physical Allocation
- Allocate and release required pages and sections
- Track object "incarnation" and state--update active objects with last
incarnation

Phase III: Logical Application
- Apply data and index changes (avoid reallocating pages in use)

In case I'm investigating right now I've got following  backtrace
	PageInventoryPage::reallocPage
	Dbb::reallocPage
 	SerialLog::bumpPageIncarnation
	SRLSectionPage::pass1

How does this correspond to the description of Phase I? Should not
reallocPages be done first in Phase II?

Vlad

Thread
Question on The 3 phases Of RecoveryVladislav Vaintroub7 Nov
  • RE: Question on The 3 phases Of RecoveryVladislav Vaintroub7 Nov
  • Re: Question on The 3 phases Of RecoveryAnn W. Harrison11 Nov
    • RE: Question on The 3 phases Of RecoveryVladislav Vaintroub11 Nov
      • Re: Question on The 3 phases Of RecoveryAnn W. Harrison11 Nov