List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:November 6 2008 6:06pm
Subject:Re: making falcon easier for others to understand
View as plain text
Mark,

Thanks for your comments (pun intended).

Adding additional comments to a large code base like this takes years
because developers need to work in each portion to understand the code.
  However, we as a team will make that a higher priority going forward.
  Currently, we are fixing bugs for a BETA release of 6.0 and do not
have time for a 'documentation' effort independent from what comments
can be added as we touch the various parts of the code.  I think you
will find that newer code does have more comments, by the way.

At some point in the future, we hope have the time to add header file
comments to describe the purpose and scope of each class.

There has been no discussion up to now about using multiple directories.
  I personally like it flat like this because nothing in storage/falcon/
can be compiled and used independently from the rest of Falcon.
However, there are directories below Falcon that have independently
compilable modules.

Kevin

MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
> Falcon is not easy for others to understand by reading the source.
> Will this change?
> * all of the files (600+) are in one directory. Innodb uses a
> directory per functional area which makes it easier to navigate.
> * header files have few comments
> * source files have few comments

Thread
making falcon easier for others to understandMARK CALLAGHAN6 Nov
  • Re: making falcon easier for others to understandKevin Lewis6 Nov
  • Re: making falcon easier for others to understandJim Starkey6 Nov
    • Re: making falcon easier for others to understandMARK CALLAGHAN6 Nov