List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vladislav Vaintroub Date:November 4 2008 1:20am
Subject:RE: SRLSession and Server Version Number
View as plain text
>#define FALCON_VERSION	"T1.3-2"
>#define FALCON_DATE	"30 October, 2008"

Frankly, I do not find this format any useful.numbers  and dates are
maintained manually, while we could get something better suited for > <
comparison from the build team e.g major,minor,release version of MySQL as
numbers. Also, strings aren't that well suited for persistent storage,
because of variable length.

Also, putting versions into tablespace does not seem to make much sense to
me, unless they are updated together with database upgrades. Imagine you got
6.0.4 in your tablespace. It says nothing, database could be upgraded 4
times since then, or maybe 3 or 2 times. However, version numbers in
tablespace could be useful to identify upgrade point, i.e first time
executable version does not match serial log version  it is an upgrade (or
maybe downgrade).In this scenario however, version needs to be updated in
the tablespace header within the same session, otherwise each subsequent
restart will be considered an upgrade-restart.