List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Stoev Date:October 29 2008 8:44pm
Subject:Re: Unthawable
View as plain text
>> Philip's cases are valuable tests, but not typical usage...  With
>> reasonable settings, chills will happen only during loads and mass
>> inserts.  The chances of modifying or deleting a record that's been
>> chilled are small, and the chances of having a multi-level modify /
>> chill / delete cycle are lower still.

Please find below an email from Kevin on another thread that describes a
potential chill/thaw/backlogging scenario that is not a load or a mass
insert -- attempting to generate a report by making multiple passes through
the entire data while writing intermediate values in a summary table. If you
decide to mark the start of your execution by inserting a timestamp in some
log table, your transaction has become an update one and thus the serial log
will grow and the memory will fill up with old record versions.

Philip Stoev