List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:October 27 2008 5:51pm
Subject:Re: Unthawable
View as plain text
Ann wrote a wonderful response and summary on Saturday, but
inadvertently only replied to me.  So I include the whole thing here and
reply below.

On 10/25/2008 3:44 PM, Ann W. Harrison wrote:
> Kevin,
>
>> My opinion is that we ought to find a way to thaw any record in the
>> record cache before it becomes unthawable if it needs to be viewed.
>>
>> In other words, any record that is visible to any transaction should
>> be thawable or already thawed.
>
>  >
>  > Imagine a record with a bunch of old record versions;
>  >
>  > Chain  RecState    TransID  TransState  WriteComplete
>  >   0    recDeleted  300      Committed   Yes
>  >   1    recChilled  150      Committed   Yes
>  >   2    recChilled  100      Committed   Yes
>  >   3    Record      N/A      N/A         N/A
>
> <Kevin's excellent explanation cut>
>
> Philip's cases are valuable tests, but not typical usage...  With
> reasonable settings, chills will happen only during loads and mass
> inserts.  The chances of modifying or deleting a record that's been
> chilled are small, and the chances of having a multi-level modify /
> chill / delete cycle are lower still.
>
> Here's what I thought happened in that case:
>
> Transaction 100 creates the record, chills it, and commits.
> Transaction 150 starts to modify the record, thaws it, and creates
> a version chain in the record cache.  If Transaction 150 hits its
> chill limit, it chills just the newest version.  If there's
> a low memory situation, the whole chain goes to the backlog.
> If not, the record version chain in cache now consists of a
> reference to Transaction 150's chilled record and the original
> version which is in the cache.  The original eventually gets
> scavenged after Transaction 150 commits and all its contemporaries
> die.  If they don't die and Transaction 300 comes along to delete
> the record, Transaction 300  thaws Transaction 2's version,
> creating a record chain consisting of a delete, Transaction 2's
> version, and Transaction 1's version.
>
> So, my assumption was that modifying or deleting a chilled
> record caused it to be thawed and left in the cache.  What
> seems to be happening is that the back version is a reference
> to the chilled record in the serial log.  That saves cache
> memory, but gets us into the current state, where needed old
> versions can be lost because they're kept in the serial log
> which doesn't preserve state for transaction dependencies.
>

>> Note that if the newest record is DELETED like this example, the
>> current code hits an assert trying to thaw it from the page since the
>> record does not exist.  But if the newest record is just UPDATED, I
>> believe that we are thawing the wrong version of the record!
>
> That's true too.  And that's a problem, since the record from
> the database can be newer than is appropriate for any particular
> transaction.
>

>> Let's look at the older record version in the chain; #2.  It was never
>> thawed, and it never needed to be.  What good luck!  This is an example
>> of why we do not want to thaw everything that goes writeComplete.  We
> [...]

I like the presentation of the 3 solutions than Ann makes above.  They
can be summarized by how soon, or 'just-in-time' they are.

Jim's solution is the most just-in-time solution.  It saves space in the
record cache at the expense of the serial log.  It has a significant
risk of growing the serial log since even long running read transactions
will hold the serial log hostage from being switched over.  And the
complexity of the changes seem significant.

Ann's solution is the least Just-In-Time.  It happens during a
transaction.  The thaw is wasted if the transaction rolls back or if
that prior RecordVersion is never actually viewed.  Jim's solution only
thaws it when it is actually viewed.  But Ann's solution has the great
benefit of being VERY simple.  All we have to do it call a thaw in the
constructor of a new RecordVersion for the oldRecord that is passed in.
  This is a two line change!

Kevin's solution is not to hot, and not to cold, but is it just right?
It thaws after the commit, during writeComplete, just before the chilled
priorVersion currently becomes unthawable.  Serial log processing stays
the same.  The only advantage over Ann's solution is that it does not
waste a thaw for a transaction that is rolled back.  The code is
slightly more complex, maybe 5 or 6 lines in SRLUpdateRecords::redo().
But this might not be worth the effort just for rolled back record versions.

I talked with Chris about this and he will try Ann's solution for a
quick fix.  He has a test that easily finds unthawable records and will
try it out.  Then he will look into Kevin's solution to see if it is
worth the added complexity.

Kevin
Thread
UnthawableKevin Lewis25 Oct
  • Re: UnthawableJim Starkey25 Oct
  • Re: UnthawablePhilip Stoev29 Oct
    • Re: UnthawableKevin Lewis30 Oct
      • Re: UnthawableLars-Erik Bjørk30 Oct
    • Re: UnthawableAnn W. Harrison30 Oct
  • Re: UnthawablePhilip Stoev30 Oct
    • Re: UnthawableKevin Lewis30 Oct
      • Re: UnthawableHakan Kuecuekyilmaz30 Oct
      • Re: UnthawableJames Day31 Oct
Re: UnthawableKevin Lewis27 Oct
  • Re: UnthawableAnn W. Harrison27 Oct
  • Re: UnthawableJim Starkey27 Oct