List:Eventum General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joao Prado Maia Date:February 26 2005 2:47am
Subject:RE: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4
View as plain text
Jeff,

> 1) The cron jobs use the web page error handling scripts, leading to
> further explosions because things like
> $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] don't
> exist.

This has been fixed since 1.4, I believe. It is definetely fixed on the
bitkeeper repository.

> 2) It sends lots of messages with obviously undefined
> variables.  "Dear
> user, this is in response to the issue you reported from ."

Hmm, that is indeed a bug, but without more information it is hard to
diagnose what the problem is. I'm guessing from that message that you
were using the issue auto-creation feature when this happened?

> 3) Trying to use self-signed SSL for imap tosses up some kind
> of error
> from the PHP imap module.  Might have been "bad transport" or
> something
> like that.  It had about half of something that looked like
> "selfsigned}."

Weird. The first time I read this, my mind flew back to 2003 when I
implemented the code to dynamically catch these "self-signed
certificate" errors and add a flag to imap_open() to ignore that, but
now what I look at the code, that specific part was removed.

Looking back at the bitkeeper history of the file, looks like this was
already done before the code was imported into bitkeeper, so this was
done a *really* long time ago. If you are still receiving this error,
try adding the following:

        if ($tls) {
            $server_uri .= '/novalidate-cert';
        }

To the end of Support::getServerURI(). I don't have a self-signed imap
server to play with right now, but maybe this will fix your problem.

> 4) It takes weird errors about "bad message number" in the
> cron job (I
> think it's the one that reads the mail, not the one that sends it.)

What type of server are you using? POP3 or IMAP?

> 5) The "is this a reply?" detection misses about 80% of
> replies, opening
> new tickets.  This is the show-stopper problem.  I can mark these as
> duplicates, but there's no way to actually coalesce the messages or
> their information back into the existing ticket short of
> cut-and-paste.
>    And both the end users and the developers want and need to
> interact
> with this system primarily via email.

If you still have copies of those emails that are replies but Eventum
doesn't recognize those as such, please send that to me privately. I'll
take a look at the headers and see what the problem is.

> I apologize that due to the volume of mail all the messages with the
> actual error messages got axed.  I'll be adding some more
> tickets this
> evening, and if anyone thinks its worthwhile, I'll try to capture any
> fun errors I come across.

Yes, send those in.

> - The web side seems ok to very good.  The performance is a little
> worrisome; there are 200 tickets in there now and it drags.  If I go
> live on this and it goes to 2000, what happens?  But I am not
> ready to
> blame that on Eventum right now; there are plenty of other possible
> causes; Eventum is here in part to help us keep track of all of them.

Hmm, strange that you find it slow. We don't have any problems with it
running on a much bigger dataset. Is the interface slow on a particular
set of pages?

> - It is a little frustrating that even the administrator
> cannot delete
> tickets.  I understand the principle of an indelible audit
> trail, but I
> have like 100 "this is a test" tickets that will sit around forever
> because the email replies didn't thread.  What are the
> implications of
> deleting them from MySQL?

No implications -- the database will just contain a lot of broken
foreign records.

> - Please add a "priority" field to project_priority, and sort
> based on
> it.  The "priorities go in order of how they were added"
> approach caused
> some extra grief when we decided to add a would-be
> higher-priority category.

Makes sense, I'll try to do this for the next 1.5 release.

> - I have a developer who refuses to use anything but oddball Unix
> browsers, and he complains that the font size is unreadably
> small.  I am
> not sure if indicates a problem with Eventum, the browser, or
> the developer.

Hmm, it all depends on what kind of fonts are available to him on his
Unix system.

> - It tries in a couple of places to change timeout values
> when running
> in safe_mode, which is a no-no.  Other than that, it seems to
> work fine
> in safe mode.

If you can give more details on this, I'll see if this can be fixed.

> - Testing the mail config dies with no diagnostic if the IMAP PHP
> extension is not loaded.  (Yeah, I know, RTFM.)

I just added some code to give a proper error message on this little
popup window on those cases.

> I'd be happy to submit patches for whatever changes I've made
> so far, or
> make in the future, if they're useful.  Thusfar they've been a bit
> rough, though, as I pretty much cut my way through the system with a
> torch to get to a working install ASAP.

We would be happy to accept your patches :)

--Joao

Thread
24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse26 Feb
  • RE: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Joao Prado Maia26 Feb
    • Re: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse26 Feb
      • Re: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Elan Ruusam√§e27 Feb
      • RE: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Joao Prado Maia2 Mar
        • Re: 24 Hours in the Life of Eventum 1.4Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse2 Mar