List:Eventum General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:M  IN BLR SISL Srivathsan Date:July 8 2009 3:30am
Subject:RE: Eventum Groups
View as plain text
Hi all,

I just started the "Step #0" (Step ZERO) of reading the existing code pertaining to
Eventum User Groups.  The following are my understanding / observations /
recommendations:

1. In order to provide for multiple Group membership for Users, there needs to be a new
table created, like "user_group_association".  This table could have 3 cols - 'id',
'usr_id' and 'grp_id'

2. Apart from 'class.group.php' which needs to be accordingly revamped, there are 3
functions in 'class.user.php' that are impacted:
    - getGroupID($usr_id)
    - setGroupID($usr_id)
    - getActiveAssocList(..., $exclude_grouped, $grp_id)

3. We could very well retain the above 3 methods 'as is' if we go in for "Primary Group"
and "Secondary Group" concept.  Whatever that is there in the 'user' table would be the
Primary Group of the User.  All additional groups would be Secondary Groups and will be
stored in the 'user_group_association' table.

4. By this, I believe that we could restrict all the "additional" modifications within
'class.group.php' itself.  Also, the existing code that depends on the 3 methods
mentioned in point #2 need not be touched.

5. From my experience, multiple group membership based logic is mainly required in the
backend engines we code and attach to Eventum.  Hence we could have the feature without
breaking the existing functionalities

6. Ofcourse, "Manage Groups" page and related functionalities should change to accommodate
multiple Group membership.

I am sure that there would be 'gotchas' in my suggestion above.  Hence I humbly solicit
Expert Review Comments on the above points.  Even totally different alternatives are most
welcome.

I fondly hope that somewhere down the time-line, Eventum incorporates this feature.

Thanks and rgds,
Watson