List:Eventum General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joao Prado Maia Date:October 19 2004 1:47pm
Subject:RE: email and internal note routing
View as plain text
James,

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:15:04PM +0100, James Gardiner wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can someone please explain how the internal email and note routing
> > works?
>
> Hello,
>
> Can you please give me an example of what you have in the
> Recipient Type Flag to get internal email routing and notes working?
>
> Thanks
>
> James
>

> > I have set up my mail server so that issue_*@domain.com and
> > note_*@domain.com are redirected to the mailbox which
> eventum accesses.
> >
> > What should the settings be against Recipient Type Flag as
> any email I
> > send always creates a new issue.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was on vacation. The "Recipient Type
Flag" is only used to display a special string by the side of the sender name,
like so:

Real Sender: John Doe <john@stripped>
Routed Sender: John Doe [via Eventum] <issue_1234@stripped>

That way you can quickly see that the message you are looking at came from
Eventum, and a reply to it will be routed back into Eventum. It's basically just
a visual cue to help people.

Instead of configuring your server to redirect issue_*@ and note_*@ emails to a
mailbox, you should make it redirect the messages into a PHP script, like
explained in the INSTALL file:

------------

1)- Email Routing Script (misc/route_emails.php)

The email routing feature is used to automatically associate a thread of emails
into an Eventum issue. By setting up qmail (or even postfix) to deliver emails
sent to a specific address (usually issue-<number>@<domain>) to the above
script, users are able to use their email clients to reply to emails coming from
Eventum, and those replies will be automatically associated with the issue and
broadcasted to the entire notification list.

The entire email message should be passed as standard input to the script, and
the only parameter to it should be email account to which this email should be
associated with. The following is an example of a successful run of this script:

cat example_email.txt | php -q route_emails.php 1

This script also saves any routed messages it receives in a separate directory,
so you would never lose emails. Create a 'routed_emails' sub-directory under
/path-to-eventum/misc/ and setup the proper permission bits on it.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that depending on the MDA that you are using (qmail,
postfix or whatever), you may need to manually change the exit codes used in
this script to handle the proper signals to the MDA. For example, postfix uses
exit code 78 to signal a configuration problem, but other agents may need
different exit codes.

2)- Note Routing Script (misc/route_notes.php)

The note routing feature is used to automatically associate a thread of notes
into an Eventum issue. By setting up qmail (or even postfix) to deliver emails
sent to a specific address (usually note-<number>@<domain>) to the above
script, users are able to use their email clients to reply to internal notes
coming from Eventum, and those replies will be automatically associated with
the issue and broadcasted to the notification list staff members.

The entire email message should be passed as standard input to the script. The
following is an example of a successful run of this script:

cat example_note_email.txt | php -q route_notes.php

This script also saves any routed messages it receives in a separate directory,
so you would never lose notes. Create a 'routed_notes' sub-directory under
/path-to-eventum/misc/ and setup the proper permission bits on it.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that depending on the MDA that you are using (qmail,
postfix or whatever), you may need to manually change the exit codes used in
this script to handle the proper signals to the MDA. For example, postfix uses
exit code 78 to signal a configuration problem, but other agents may need
different exit codes.

You need to pass the full body of the email to those PHP scripts, and they will
take care of associating the email into the proper issue, and broadcasting the
email to the notification list.

--Joao

Thread
email and internal note routingJames Gardiner13 Oct
  • Re: email and internal note routingJames Gardiner14 Oct
    • RE: email and internal note routingJoao Prado Maia19 Oct