List:Eventum General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joao Prado Maia Date:July 20 2005 7:41pm
Subject:RE: eventum translation proposal
View as plain text
Stefano,

> I played with the code, and found [hopefully] a viable
> solution using
> gettext formats, these are the steps:

</snip>

This looks like a great idea, and exactly what I had in mind for the
translation project for Eventum 2.0. However, I would simply use Smarty
config files and constants for the actual translated strings. Your idea
is even better IMO, as it will make the templates a bit easier to manage
since the english versions will be included on the master templates. At
the same time though, I have some pretty bad experiences while using PHP
and Gettext, and I would prefer not to add the gettext extension as a
pre-requisite for using Eventum.

However, how are the .po files generated on the first place? A few years
ago I even wrote an article about this stuff
(http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2002/06/13/php.html), but the missing
piece here is that with normal PHP and the gettext() function, you can
run 'xgettext -n *.php' to create the master .po file automatically for
you. Is something similar available for these {t}{/t} block functions?

--Joao

Thread
eventum translation proposalStefano Rosanelli20 Jul
  • RE: eventum translation proposalJoao Prado Maia20 Jul
    • Re: eventum translation proposalStefano Rosanelli21 Jul
      • RE: eventum translation proposalJoao Prado Maia21 Jul