List:Eventum General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:First Last Date:April 14 2005 12:29pm
Subject:RE: email processing trouble
View as plain text
I struggled with the same problem, i.e. "unable to
authenticate to smtp server" while I knew for sure the
login credentials were correct and I could send mail
through that same server from other clients.

Lots of debugging learned me the following:
- in Eventum General setup, one can enabled or disable
authentication. This seems to be stored in
setup.conf.php as either 0 (for disabled) and 1 (for
enabled)
- in function auth() of
<path-to-eventum>/include/pear/Net/SMTP.php, the value
of this $method variable is used "as is" (meaning 1 in
case of authentication required) for the login type,
instead of CRAM-MD5, LOGIN, ...

only when the variable $method is empty, a function
gets called to replace the variable with one of the
values "CRAM-MD5", "DIGEST-MD5", "LOGIN" or "PLAIN".

This was the cause of all the trouble for me.

simply adding an extra check to the if clause of the
function auth() for when the variable is "1" solved
the problem for me.

Function BEFORE:
----------------

        if (empty($method)) {
            if (PEAR::isError($method =
$this->_getBestAuthMethod())) {
                /* Return the PEAR_Error object from
_getBestAuthMethod(). */
                return $method;
            }
        } else {
            $method = strtoupper($method);
            if (!in_array($method,
$this->auth_methods)) {
                return new PEAR_Error("$method is not
a supported authentication method");
            }
        }

Function AFTER:
---------------

        if (empty($method) || $method == '1') {
            if (PEAR::isError($method =
$this->_getBestAuthMethod())) {
                /* Return the PEAR_Error object from
_getBestAuthMethod(). */
                return $method;
            }
        } else {
            $method = strtoupper($method);
            if (!in_array($method,
$this->auth_methods)) {
                return new PEAR_Error("$method is not
a supported authentication method");
            }
        }

So I'm not sure if it's a PEAR problem by not mapping
the variable to a supported authentication type, or if
it's the task of the program to provide an already
valid authentication type (instead of just "1")