List:Eventum Development« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joao Prado Maia Date:September 8 2004 3:58pm
Subject:RE: New developer/RFC on new feature
View as plain text
Jay,

> We are evaluating Eventum for our organization and as part of that we are
> considering making some changes to better support what we need.
> Do you have
> a roadmap that you could share on upcoming features (if any)?  I know the
> 1.3 release is imminent.

The medium term roadmap includes the 2.0 release which we want to improve
the fitness of Eventum in different usage patterns, like bug handling, tasks
and etc. We also want to make some sort of inter-installation communication
framework, so that you can have dependencies between different projects,
whether they are local to this installation, or to some remote one.

> 1.  Add a boolean column to time_tracking_category indicating
> that the work
> is capitalizable.  For instance, design and development are capitalizable
> but bug-fixes are not.

I guess you mean a new field "ttc_is_billable" to flag those types of
entries, right? Would it make more sense to add this field in the main time
tracking table and let users specify at creation time which of the entries
are billable or not? I'm not too sure if always making a category billable
would fit all usages.

> 2.  Add a new table tenatively named 'user_time_tracking'.
> create table eventum_user_time_tracking(
> utt_usr_id INT(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
> utt_iss_id INT(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
> primary key (utt_usr_id,utt_iss_id),
> key utt_usr_id (utt_usr_id),
> key utt_iss_id (utt_iss_id)
> );
>
> This table will allow users to save their 'favorite' issues that they post
> time against but that isn't necessarily assigned to them.
> Records would be
> added to and deleted from this table based on a checkbox in the
> "Record Time
> Worked" section of view.php.

I'm not sure I understand this. Why do you need to have a "favorite issues"
table related to time tracking entries? You can already know if an issue is
important to you by doing a search in the system (i.e. by the assignment
field or by the notification list field).

And even if you do need to use the time tracking information for this,
surely you can get all of this information from the main time tracking table
(fields ttr_usr_id and ttr_iss_id).

> 3. Create a 'Enter Hours' page linked from the 'navigation.tpl.html'
> template.  This will allow the user to enter hours for multiple issues at
> one time.  (Even across projects).

I understand that this may be an important feature for you, but I'm not at
all convinced that this would also be needed by most users. I'm trying to
get a balance of nice-to-have features and extra complexity. I mean, the
extra feature that would be useful to you would make Eventum harder to use
for most other users.

What's the problem with entering the time in each issue, anyway?

> 4.  Create a report that shows a time break down by week (or any date
> period) across projects by project lead and is downloadable to Excel.

That sounds like a good idea. You just need to create a new report in the
system and query the information from the existing tables.

> 5. Soft code the phone call reasons  (adding new tables where necessary)

If by the above you mean a way to dynamically customize the list of phone
call reasons, that was already done for release 1.3.

> 6. Save Login/Project cookie for longer than 'Session'

Not sure what you mean here. The login cookie only expires 8 hours after
your last pageview in Eventum, whether the browser is closed or not. So this
is already "longer than the browser session". Do you mean something else?

> Lastly,  is anyone running Eventum on Win2K/IIS?  I would prefer Linux but
> we don't have a machine available, but we do have spare capacity on a
> Windows box.  Thoughts or concerns?

Yeah, Eventum should work fine under IIS.

--Joao

Thread
New developer/RFC on new featureJay.Graves8 Sep
  • RE: New developer/RFC on new featureJoao Prado Maia8 Sep
RE: New developer/RFC on new featureJay.Graves8 Sep
  • RE: New developer/RFC on new featureJoao Prado Maia8 Sep
RE: New developer/RFC on new featureJay.Graves8 Sep
RE: New developer/RFC on new featureNeil Maitland9 Sep