List:Eventum Development« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joao Prado Maia Date:March 11 2005 2:20pm
Subject:RE: Why eventum may be slow...
View as plain text
Paul,

> It doesn't have to run the code, it just
> has to look for function headers. But 14000 lines for a simple issue
> assign does seem like unneeded overhead.

Oh, I agree that it is unneeded overhead, but the performance hit that
happens because of this is probably very small, in the miliseconds.
Unless you are really including a 4 megabyte include file, PHP should
have no problem parsing 14000 lines of code.

> Anyway, I think I realized that Eventum has too many features that I
> don't really need. I tried out Mantis and Flyspray today and they both
> ran faster (qualitatively). But they don't offer as many features or
> look as nice (no template parsing).
>
> In my opinion Eventum has the best design and it's fully editable with
> smarty, that is why I started using it in the first place. But I need
> a quicker, light solution. But all of those look like crap. Well, I
> guess I can't have everything.

Again, if you are having problems with performance on Eventum, please
provide some benchmarks. I'll be happy to look at your results, and fix
my code if that's appropriate. By the way, I'm not saying that Eventum
is the most tuned piece of code around the block, but just the fact that
it includes a bunch of PHP code on each page is not the reason for it
being slow for you.

Take a look at /path-to-eventum/config.inc.php. There's a constant
called APP_BENCHMARK that is probably set to FALSE. Change it to TRUE,
and Eventum will start saving benchmark information at each SQL
statement that is run. On /path-to-eventum/include/class.template.php,
there's a piece of code that assigns $profiling to a template variable,
but that's not really very useful. Try adding the following to that
code:

  var_dump($profiling);

You will start seeing the benchmark information on each page that you
open. If you see differences in each of those items (i.e. the 'diff'
array indexes) that are bigger than 0.01, or even closing into 0.01
(such as => 0.07), then send that stuff to me and I'll take a look.

--Joao

Thread
Why eventum may be slow...Paul Mach10 Mar
  • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia10 Mar
    • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Paul Mach11 Mar
      • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
        • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
          • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
      • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
        • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
          • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
            • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
              • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
  • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Phillip Steinbachs10 Mar