List:Eventum Development« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul Mach Date:March 11 2005 6:15am
Subject:Re: Why eventum may be slow...
View as plain text
Joao,
> I'm sorry for my blunt response, but this is complete nonsense. Instead
> of just guessing what the problem might be, please provide benchmarks
> showing that parsing is the problem with your bad-performance of
> Eventum. Until I see any proof that this is the problem (which I'm
> pretty sure it isn't), there's nothing to discuss here.

You're right, I'm an idiot. It doesn't have to run the code, it just
has to look for function headers. But 14000 lines for a simple issue
assign does seem like unneeded overhead.

Phillip,
> Based on the description of your
> hardware, I would contribute a good portion of the perceived slowness to
> the speed of the laptop's hard drive (usually 4200-5400rpm with little to no
> cache).  Especially since you're running everything (web/db) off of the
> same machine.

It is a laptop. But any modern operating system will cache frequently
accessed files in memory ( I have enought), so HD speed will not be
the problem. I would attribute it to bus or processor speed if
anything.

> I would not run a serious production installation of Eventum off a laptop,
> and I wouldn't base any benchmarks off of underpowered hardware.  An
> applicaiton like Eventum should be run on reasonably fast hardware,
> and ideally, the database should be on a separate machine from the web
> server.

I would never run a serious installation off a laptop either. But if
it is running slow with just little old me using it, what will happen
when there are lots of people on a legit machine? Also, I don't have
the resources to allocate a dedicated machine just for Eventum.

Anyway, I think I realized that Eventum has too many features that I
don't really need. I tried out Mantis and Flyspray today and they both
ran faster (qualitatively). But they don't offer as many features or
look as nice (no template parsing).

In my opinion Eventum has the best design and it's fully editable with
smarty, that is why I started using it in the first place. But I need
a quicker, light solution. But all of those look like crap. Well, I
guess I can't have everything.
Thread
Why eventum may be slow...Paul Mach10 Mar
  • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia10 Mar
    • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Paul Mach11 Mar
      • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
        • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
          • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
      • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
        • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
          • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
            • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse11 Mar
              • RE: Why eventum may be slow...Joao Prado Maia11 Mar
  • Re: Why eventum may be slow...Phillip Steinbachs10 Mar