List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:October 27 2004 5:38pm
Subject:Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#
View as plain text  
yes, beta 1 is still up.  preparing beta 2 right now

Jorge Bastos wrote:

> Reggie,
>
> The version online still beta1 right?
> I have to wait for binaries because i'm not gonna adventure to compile 
> it.
>
> Jorge Bastos
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Reggie Burnett" <reggie@stripped>
> To: "Duncan Paul Attard" <duncanatt@stripped>
> Cc: <dotnet@stripped>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 4:42 PM
> Subject: Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#
>
>
>> Duncan
>>
>> This should be corrected in beta 2.  When you say that  you checked 
>> the server and it shows character_set_connection as utf8, how were 
>> you checking it?  Remember that each connection can have a different 
>> set of character sets so just because the command line client shows 
>> utf8 doesn't mean that your connection with Connector/Net is.  In 
>> fact, I fixed  a bug in C/net where the connector was doing a set 
>> character_set_client=utf8; set character_set_results=null;
>>
>> This is a problem because it leaves the character_set_connection as 
>> the default (possibly latin1) and will convert everything sent over 
>> to that charset.  The right thing to do is "SET NAMES utf8; set 
>> character_set_results=null".  This is what beta 2 is doing and we are 
>> having much better results with languages.
>>
>> -reggie
>>
>> Duncan Paul Attard wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem regarding unicode characters and MySql.
>>> I am using MySql 4.1 and MySql Connector/NET together with
>>> C#.
>>>  My question is whether I' am making a silly mistake (or not),
>>> by not being able to store unicode characters in a simple table.
>>>  The database I have created is supposed to be in unicode:
>>> 'CREATE DATABASE test CHARACTER SET utf8'.
>>>  Now, connecting from C#, i am trying to write into a simple
>>> table, with one column, the value '\u0120\u0121\u0125\u0411'
>>> but when I am retrieving the value from the table, '????' is
>>> returned as a result.
>>>  I don't know if its relevant, but i have checked that the
>>> server and connection are using unicode encoding:
>>>  SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_server' which returns
>>> 'utf8' as a result.
>>>  also:
>>> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_connection' returns
>>> 'utf8' as a result.
>>>  I would very much appreciate if someone would answer this
>>> question.
>>>  Thanks in advance, and looking foward to hearing from someone,
>>> Duncan.
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
>>>
>>>
>>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>> Version: 7.0.269 / Virus Database: 264.12.3 - Release Date: 25/10/2004
>>>
>>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Reggie Burnett, Software Developer
>> MySQL Inc, http://www.mysql.com
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> MySQL on .NET Mailing List
>> For list archives: http://lists.mysql.com/dotnet
>> To unsubscribe: 
>> http://lists.mysql.com/dotnet?unsub=1
>>
>>
>
>

-- 
Reggie Burnett, Software Developer
MySQL Inc, http://www.mysql.com

Thread
Unicode Problem with MySql and C#Duncan Paul Attard26 Oct
  • Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#Jorge Bastos26 Oct
  • Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#Reggie Burnett27 Oct
  • Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#Jorge Bastos27 Oct
    • Re: Unicode Problem with MySql and C#Reggie Burnett27 Oct