List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:January 13 2005 1:10pm
Subject:RE: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?
View as plain text
Shawn

A couple of corrections.

> methods, and properties.  However, because the Connector.NET library is
> not coded to a fixed specification (like ODBC) its developer is free to

While ADO.Net is not a very mature or strict specification, there is a set
of interfaces that a provider must implement.  It is possible to write
provider neutral code (after the provider creation) so this tells you that a
specification is involved to some degree.

> use whatever object names, method names, and property names he wants.
> Usually a library for a language like .NET is written as a wrapper to an
> interface (usually distributed as a DLL) written by the DB manufacturer
> (frequently written in C or C++ and very "low-level").  These "wrapper"
> libraries will usually expose interfaces similar to the underlying library
> provided by the manufacturer but they need to translate between
> differences in variable storage and language-specific data types. This is
> also true for the Connector.NET library. However, that is not the only
> .NET library out there.

While some drivers out there do their jobs as a wrapper around a library,
currently Connector/Net does not do that.  To avoid paying the PInvoke tax,
it talks with MySQL directly over sockets and does not use libmysql.dll.  In
the future, we will be adding the ability to use libmysql.dll and also the
embedded server.

-reggie

Thread
How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Ahmet Erispaha12 Jan
  • Re: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Jorge Bastos12 Jan
  • Re: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Jorge Bastos12 Jan
    • Re: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?SGreen12 Jan
      • Re: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Jorge Bastos12 Jan
      • Re: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Ahmet Erispaha12 Jan
        • RE: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Reggie Burnett13 Jan
      • RE: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Reggie Burnett13 Jan
        • RE: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?SGreen13 Jan
          • RE: How do you create a DSN using ByteFX?Reggie Burnett13 Jan