List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:November 23 2004 3:48pm
Subject:Re: Multiple databases
View as plain text
Nope. That is a decision you need to make in your application. You will
need to write the code that walks a list (or array or whatever your
favorite structure is) of connection strings trying each one in sequence
until you get a good connection. It's much more flexible this way as your
application should ALWAYS know which server it is connected to and could
make some very complex choices based on that and any other information you
can gather. Coding a failover routine into the communications library is
possible but you lose a lot of what I think of as "situational awareness"
which is critical to any application that actively manages it's own
errors.

Did I make sense or make it worse?

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Joshua Mouch" <joshua@stripped> wrote on 11/23/2004 02:40:23 AM:

> Is it possible with the .net connector to have fallback databases
> listed in the connection string?
>
> For example, if database 1 isn’t responding, it will attempt
> connecting to database 2.
>

> Joshua Mouch
> EmailScout Support Team
> http://www.emailscout.net