List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:October 29 2006 12:24am
Subject:RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio plugin
View as plain text
David

I completely agree.  For now, I'm afraid you'll have to use decimal or some
other datatype.  You could file a bug on the server as this is definitely
something we can fix.

> Reggie,
>
> > Have a look at this link (if you have not already).
> >
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/problems-with-float.html
>
> Thanks.  I've seen it before..
>
> I don't think it's relevant (but feel free to correct me):
>
> a) In the case we're discussing, the user does not have control over
>    the query.  It's built for him.  (... And the query builder has no
>    provision for setting a precision to use when comparing floats.  It
>    could in theory do as the example you link to, but it doesn't..)
>
> b) MySQL stores floating point numbers in one precision.  It compares
>    numbers using this precision.  But it returns results with another
>    (lower) precision.
>
>    This issue would not need a workaround in each SELECT, if it was
>    solved in the server so that numbers were either returned with a
>    higher precision (enough to match the record later with a SELECT),
>    or numbers were stored with a lower precision (in practice we'd be
>    rounding numbers on INSERT rather than on SELECT).
>
>    Solving the problem in the server would be consistent with what
>    other professional database server products do, as far as I can see:
>
>          INSERT:              0.666666666666667     0.6666666666666666
> (MySQL)  SELECT *:            0.666666666666667     0.666666666666667
> (MS SQL) SELECT *:            0.66666666666666696   0.66666666666666663
> (MySQL)  WHERE:                   1 record               0 records
> (MS SQL) WHERE:                   1 record               1 record
>
>    (For the WHERE clauses I used the values I got from the server in
>    the corresponding SELECT (on the same server type).  For data types
>    on MS SQL, I used the conversion table from
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/deploy/mysql.mspx
> )
>
> Ho hum..

New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett25 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp26 Oct
  • Re: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginMartin MC Brown26 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp26 Oct
  • RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett26 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp26 Oct
  • RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett26 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp27 Oct
  • Re: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginBarry Zubel27 Oct
  • RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett27 Oct
    • MySQL not taking a Double.MaxValueChris Herridge19 Feb
      • RE: MySQL not taking a Double.MaxValueJohan Steyn19 Feb
      • RE: MySQL not taking a Double.MaxValueReggie Burnett21 Feb
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginYvan Rodrigues27 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp27 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp28 Oct
  • RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett29 Oct
RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginDavid Dindorp9 Nov
  • RE: New bugs category for Visual Studio pluginReggie Burnett15 Nov
RE: MySQL not taking a Double.MaxValueChris Herridge19 Feb