List:MySQL and .NET« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:October 2 2006 7:02pm
Subject:MySQL Connector/Net 5.0.1 Beta has been released.
View as plain text
Hi,

MySQL Connector/Net 5.0.1 Beta has been released.  MySQL Connector/Net is an
all-managed ADO.Net provider for MySQL.  While this release is suitable for
any version of MySQL, it is strongly encouraged that this release not be
used on any production data.  This release is feature complete with the
exception of DTC support in System.Transactions.

It is now available in source and binary form from the Connector/Net
download pages at http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.0.html and
mirror sites (note that not all mirror sites may be up to date at this point
of time - if you can't find this version on some mirror, please try again
later or choose another download site.)

Highlights in this release:

* Support for ADO.Net 2.0 interfaces and subclasses

  (this release now includes foreign key support)

* Re-architected to improve speed and flexibility

The internals of the provider have been improved to allow column values to
be retrieved without boxing in many cases.  Also, the internal changes have
enabled the future inclusion of embedded and client library support.

* Implemented Usage Advisor

---------------------------

The Usage Advisor first appeared in Connector/J.  We have now implemented
that feature in Connector/Net.  Enabling it causes the provider to check
both your queries and how you read the results and report to you if it
thinks you are using the provider in an  inefficient manner.  It checks such
things as using a query without an index, not reading all the columns or
rows from a resultset, etc.

* Implemented asynchronous query methods

The MySqlCommand object now supports asynchronous queries.  This is
implemented using the BeginExecuteNonQuery and EndExecuteNonQuery methods.
BeginExecuteReader and EndExecuteReader are now included.

* Implemented stored procedure metadata caching

We now cache the metadata that is retrieved during stored procedure and
stored function execution.  This cache data is used for subsequent
executions of that stored routine.

* Added PerfMon hooks

---------------------

This release includes PerfMon hooks to monitor stored procedure cache hits
and misses.  We are looking at adding additional hooks in the first beta
release.

* Removed use of SharpZipLib library

------------------------------------

We have replaced use of the SharpZipLib library with the deflate support
available with .NET 2.0.

Support for embedded server and client library has been removed

For those of you that have seen my presentations on 5.0, we decided to
remove these features to help get 5.0 out the door more quickly.  These
features will reappear in a later version of the product.

The installer for this release installs the assembly into the GAC and
registers the provider with machine.config.  Because of this,  you need to
run the installer as a member of the administrators role.  There is also a
bug known in this release that applications using this build of the
connector, when run on Vista, require administrator mode.  We are looking
into this issue for the next release.

Thank you for checking out this release of Connector/Net.

-Reggie

Thread
MySQL Connector/Net 5.0.1 Beta has been released.Reggie Burnett2 Oct