List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:August 27 2004 6:24pm
Subject:Clarifying the MySQL Licensing Policy Documents Pt. II
View as plain text

Greetings All,

Sorry for the long delay in following up!

First, I have resigned from my position as MySQL AB Community Advocate
for personal reasons.

If you have concerns regarding licensing and community issues that you
wish to directly engage MySQL in, you should write to either
community@stripped or license-feedback@stripped.

Also, rather than create a separate request tracker for the licensing
issues, our webmaster has (smartly) added a category in the standard
MySQL bug tracker (

So, let us recap where we left off in these discussions with a slightly
modified version of the notes from my prior message on this issue:

As a way to cooperatively work to address some of the licensing
concerns held by members of the MySQL community and the broader Free
Software/Open Source community, we are initiating a community review of
our licensing policy documents.

This means that we are soliciting feedback about issues in the policy
documents that people find inaccurate or unclear. From this feedback we
will work to improve the policy documents.

Please note that we cannot guarantee that we will address or accept all
of the issues raised or suggestions made. The licensing is both complex
and is the cornerstone of our business. Past experience shows that we
must work carefully, incrementally and with community involvement in
this area. As with development of the FLOSS exception though, I hope
that we can reach a compromise that is satisfactory for almost

If you wish to participate, the process for doing so is simple.

Review some or all of the following documents:

When you encounter an issue that you find confusing or inaccurate,
please file a bug report in the MySQL bug tracking system at Please check to see if the bug has already been
reported - if so, consider commenting on the existing bug. If creating
a new bug, please make sure to set the category of the bug to

Additionally, it would be optimal if you could send a note to the MySQL
community list on the issue - forwarding the message provided by the
bug tracking system should be an easy way to do this.

I would like the discussion to take place on the MySQL community list,
as it is easier to keep track of the issues in a single, low-traffic
setting. I prefer not to Cc the MySQL General list beyond this initial
email, so as to avoid cluttering an already busy mailing list.

As for the policy documents, MySQL CEO Mårten Mickos made a small set
of alterations to the docs that he noted at

Thanks to everyone for their input and effort here! It has been good
working with you!

- --
Zak Greant

Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (Darwin)

Clarifying the MySQL Licensing Policy Documents Pt. IIZak Greant27 Aug