List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sheeri K. Cabral Date:February 10 2009 4:45pm
Subject:Re: Dutch MySQL User group
View as plain text
Walter,

Check out ustream.tv -- you can stream your screen and audio, and have an
IRC chat room, and it's all free.  You can even choose for folks to see the
video afterwards.

This way you can still do meetups so long as you have an internet
connection.

Another idea is to do user group meetings in Second Life.  That idea was
brought to me by someone but I never really did anything with it.  There are
tons of savvy, young programmers in Second Life that shun the "old" ways of
IRC and mailing lists.

-Sheeri

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Walter Heck <walterheck@stripped> wrote:

> I gave it some more thought and decided it would be best to start
> building an online community first. I helped in doing the same thing
> years ago for delphi, and we managed to start the number 1 online
> dutch forum for Delphi at www.nldelphi.com.
> As I am traveling a lot these days, I will probably not have too much
> time to organise meetups for now anyway, so I decided to apply the
> same format we used for NLDelphi: building a friendly, slightly
> moderated (read: only when necessary) dutch language forum for MySQL
> users of all kinds. If that works out well, we can always start
> meeting up later (which is what happened after a while on NLDelphi.com
> as well :)
>
> Thoughts are welcome!
>
> Walter
>
> OlinData: Professional services for MySQL
> Support * Consulting * Administration
> http://www.olindata.com
>

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Sheeri K. Cabral <awfief@stripped>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Arjen Lentz <arjen@stripped> wrote:
> >>
> >> Apart from the excellent links that Sheeri provided, note specifically
> >> that meetup.com is free for MySQL user groups.
> >
> > To be clear, MySQL pays the fee.  Follow the information in the links
> > provided to set it up.
> >

> >> You get calendar/signup stuff in there, as well as a mailing list and
> >> other relevant infrastructure. Plus good Google juice.
> >
> > Yep!  It's nice not to have to maintain that, even though I could, it's
> one
> > less thing to deal with.  And when you're doing stuff as a volunteer,
> that's
> > one of the most important things!
> >
> > --
> > - Sheeri K. Cabral
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/mysqlbook will take you to the Amazon.com page for my
> > upcoming book, "MySQL Administrator's Bible".

- Sheeri K. Cabral

http://tinyurl.com/mysqlbook will take you to the Amazon.com page for my
upcoming book, "MySQL Administrator's Bible".

Thread
Dutch MySQL User groupWalter Heck10 Feb
  • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupSheeri K. Cabral10 Feb
    • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupWalter Heck10 Feb
  • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupArjen Lentz10 Feb
    • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupSheeri K. Cabral10 Feb
      • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupWalter Heck10 Feb
        • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupSheeri K. Cabral10 Feb
      • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupArjen Lentz11 Feb
    • Re: Dutch MySQL User groupRoland Bouman10 Feb