List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:March 19 2004 5:23am
Subject:Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1
View as plain text
On Mar 18, 2004, at 21:43, Jan Wieck wrote:
> This is exactly the point. The advertising clause "had" to go. Now the
> BSD license is what it (IMHO) always was supposed to be. Making the
> source code usable for everyone and every purpose, except to sue the
> developers.

Heh. Lots of packages still have advertising-type clauses in them that
were borrowed (in concept at least) from the original BSD license - the
PHP license and 1.0/1.1 of the Apache license jump to mind.

>> Appearing right next to the License name of what?  The modified
>> bundle's
>> COPYING file?  The top of each source files?  Should it make mention
>> of
>> the entire mysql license?  Does it still apply to entire "bundles"?
>> What about things that link to things that link to things that
>> include
>> mysql server bits?  Do they need to warn that the package contains
>> nuts,
>> as well?  :)
>
> There is the problem. At the first place in the chain, where it is not
> made totally clear that "this binary version of BAZBAR is FOOBAR
> licensed but contains differently licensed libraries, inherited from
> the included FOOFOO package, that are not fully compliant to the
> FOOBAR license distribution terms! Please refer to the MyFOO license
> terms for details of redistributing any rebundled, relinked or
> otherwise combined packages containing this binary BAZBAR package",
> the whole thing goes belly up.

Hrm. Now that I think about this a bit more, how is this that different
from dealing with any other software package. You always need to check
out the licensing requirements. For example, you don't see big warnings
on PHP that says:

CAUTION: Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the
following acknowledgment: "This product includes PHP, freely available
from <http://www.php.net/>".

For the majority of users it does not matter because they never
distribute the application - they only receive applications built with
it. The only group that cares are developers who need to be smart
enough to read license terms anyway!

Cheers!
--zak

Thread
The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant13 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon16 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Steve Langasek20 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck17 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck19 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant19 Mar
          • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck9 Apr
            • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant25 Apr