List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:March 17 2004 11:05pm
Subject:Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1
View as plain text
Hi Jan,

Thanks for taking some time from PGSQL to comment!

On Mar 17, 2004, at 06:36, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Zak Greant wrote:
>> [...] 1. You obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for
>> the Program and
>> the Derivative Work, except for identifiable sections of that work
>> which are
>> not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
>> independent and separate works in themselves,
>> 2. You distribute all identifiable sections of the Derivative Work
>> which are
>> not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
>> independent
>
> "reasonably be considered" is a bit ... um ... vague. If push comes to
> shove who's is it to define that in a court room?

I am not a lawyer, so take my opinions here with a grain of salt.

My understanding is that only the court can settle what reasonable is.

> I have a hard time understanding how that will work then. If I have
> for example a fulltext search document indexing system that uses
> MySQL, and which is open source and free and distributed under the BSD
> license, then I can bundle it with the MySQL client libraries and add
> them to the install packages, right?

Right.

> The problem here is that the BSD license now allows integration into
> commercial closed source applications shipped in binary form only. So
> someone can grab a binary package of a BSD product and include that
> into the installer of their proprietary commercial application and we
> BSD license communities don't care.
>
> I think if that is not intended use under FOSS, what is needed here is
> a special tag added to those bundles, which has to appear right next
> to the License name wherever it is mentioned. Something like these
> labels found on Airline snack bagies reading "warning, may contain
> nuts".

heh. Funny analogy and good point. I do not believe that we would want
to be implicitly encouraging people to break our license. I will add
another ticket to the system.

Cheers!
--zak

Thread
The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant13 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon16 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Steve Langasek20 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck17 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck19 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant19 Mar
          • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck9 Apr
            • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant25 Apr