List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Wieck Date:March 17 2004 1:36pm
Subject:Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1
View as plain text
Zak Greant wrote:
> [...]
> 1. You obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for the
> Program and
> the Derivative Work, except for identifiable sections of that work
> which are
> not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
> independent and separate works in themselves,
>
> 2. You distribute all identifiable sections of the Derivative Work
> which are
> not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
> independent

"reasonably be considered" is a bit ... um ... vague. If push comes to
shove who's is it to define that in a court room?

> [...]
> License name
> Version(s)/Copyright Date
> Academic Free License
>      2.0
> Apache Software License
> 1.0/1.1/2.0
> Apple Public Source License
>      2.0
> Artistic license                                                From
> Perl 5.0.8
> BSD license                                                      "July
> 22 1999"
> [...]
> Due to the many variants of some of the above licenses, we require that
> any version follow the Open Source Definition by the Open Source
> Initiative (see opensource.org).
>
> As used in this document, the term "include or aggregate" means to
> embed,
> integrate, bundle, aggregate, link, distribute on the same media or in
> the same
> packaging, provide with instructions to download or automate any of the
> preceding processes.

I have a hard time understanding how that will work then. If I have for
example a fulltext search document indexing system that uses MySQL, and
which is open source and free and distributed under the BSD license,
then I can bundle it with the MySQL client libraries and add them to the
install packages, right?

The problem here is that the BSD license now allows integration into
commercial closed source applications shipped in binary form only. So
someone can grab a binary package of a BSD product and include that into
the installer of their proprietary commercial application and we BSD
license communities don't care.

I think if that is not intended use under FOSS, what is needed here is a
special tag added to those bundles, which has to appear right next to
the License name wherever it is mentioned. Something like these labels
found on Airline snack bagies reading "warning, may contain nuts".

Jan

#================================================== JanWieck@stripped #

Thread
The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant13 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon16 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Steve Langasek20 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck17 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck19 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant19 Mar
          • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck9 Apr
            • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant25 Apr