List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:March 12 2004 11:40am
Subject:The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1
View as plain text
On Thursday, March 11th at 22:58 CET, the MySQL team become the proud
parent of a brand new baby license exception. Birth occurred much
sooner than the estimated deliver date of "sometime after Perl 7". The
parent and child are now resting after a very long and arduous labor
(and an even longer and more arduous pregnancy).

The new exception is called the "MySQL FOSS Exception" and currently is
66 lines, 458 words and 3828 bytes.

When viewing the baby, please keep in mind that it is only a baby and
needs lots of input to become healthier, stronger and more
comprehensible.

When I get back to my home base in a few days, I will drop the
exception into something like CVS (perhaps with CVStrac support ;) so
that we can track every little change and the suggestions that led to
it.

Also, please note that we have already delivered this document to the
FSF, Larry Rosen, a good number of core PHP people, the Fedora team,
etc.  So far, we do have early feedback from some of the reviewers that
we will consider incorporating as we do new revisions of the licenses.

Supporting details to come as I (and we) have time to write them.

The MySQL AB Exception for non-GPL Free and Open Source Software-only
Applications
Using MySQL Client Libraries (the "FOSS Exception") (Version 0.1)

EXCEPTION INTENT
We want FOSS-only (Free and Open Source Software) applications to be
able to use
GPL-licensed MySQL Client libraries despite the fact that not all FOSS
licences are
compatible with the GPL. Therefore we have issued the following
exception:

LEGAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As a special exception to the terms and conditions of version 2.0 of
the GPL

You are free to distribute Derivative Works that are formed entirely
from works
licensed under under one or more of the licenses listed below without
affecting
the license terms of the works, as long as:

1. You obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for the
Program and
the Derivative Work, except for identifiable sections of that work
which are
not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
independent and separate works in themselves,

2. You distribute all identifiable sections of the Derivative Work
which are
not derived from the Program, and which can reasonably be considered
independent
and separate works in themselves, subject to one of the licenses listed
below,

3. The Derivative Work does not include or aggregate any part of the
MySQL Server
(SQL Engine) or any modifications, translations or other derivatives
thereof,

4. If the above conditions are not met, then the Program may only be
copied, modified, distributed or used under the terms and conditions of
the GPL or another valid licensing option from MySQL AB.

License name
Version(s)/Copyright Date
Academic Free License
     2.0
Apache Software License
1.0/1.1/2.0
Apple Public Source License
     2.0
Artistic license                                                From
Perl 5.0.8
BSD license                                                      "July
22 1999"
Common Public License
     1.0
GNU Public License (GPL)
     2.0
GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License (LGPL)
     2.1
Jabber Open Source License
     1.0
MIT license
       -
Mozilla Public License (MPL)
1.0/1.1
PHP License
     3.0
Python license (CNRI Python License)
       -
Python Software Foundation License
   2.1.1
Sleepycat License
  "1999"
W3C License
  "2001"
Zlib/libpng License
       -
Zope Public License
     2.0

Due to the many variants of some of the above licenses, we require that
any version follow the Open Source Definition by the Open Source
Initiative (see opensource.org).

As used in this document, the term "include or aggregate" means to
embed,
integrate, bundle, aggregate, link, distribute on the same media or in
the same
packaging, provide with instructions to download or automate any of the
preceding processes.

Terms used, but not defined, herein shall have the meaning provided in
version
2 of the GPL.

Derivative Work means a derivative work under copyright law: that is to
say, a
work containing the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with
modifications and/or translated into another language.

Cheers!
--zak

Thread
The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant13 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon16 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Steve Langasek20 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant21 Mar
  • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck17 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant18 Mar
    • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Andres Salomon18 Mar
      • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck19 Mar
        • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant19 Mar
          • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Jan Wieck9 Apr
            • Re: The MySQL FOSS Exception v0.1Zak Greant25 Apr