List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mahesh T. Pai Date:February 26 2004 6:23pm
Subject:Re: License Name?
View as plain text
Stéphane Croisier said on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 06:10:52PM +0100,:

 > "Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute. As long as you
 > never distribute (internally or externally) the MySQL Software in any way,
 > you are free to use it for powering your application, irrespective of
 > whether your application is under GPL license or not."

It  simply means `we  never bother  if what  license your  software is
under, so long as you do not distribute'.

IMHO, these words  make no difference, coz. this  is what the position
is as per the GPL, even if MySQL did not say so.

It is surely ridiculous if, by `distribute' MySQL really means that if
you  send a  copy of  MySQL  along with  your own  software from  your
headoffice  to your branchoffice,  your software  should be  under the
GPL. The  branch office can  simply go to  www.mysql.com/downloads and
remain in compliance with the GPL.

And even if  MySQL AB did not say so, your  produce which *depends* on
MySQL  has to  be under  a GPL  compatible license;  else you  will be
violating the  conditions of  license under which  you are  using your
copy of mysql.

And even if  MySQL did not explicitly say  so, being copyright holders
of  mysql the  product, they  are  within their  rights to  give me  a
separate of their product, and allow me to combine my nonfree software
with a non-free copy of mysql.  This is flows from the law relating to
copyright; not  any license terms.  Just in case  you did not  get the
point,  the Free  Software Foundation,  being copyright  holders  of a
(fictional) package  called GNU FOO, can  license it to M$  for a fee,
and can allow M$ to  withhold sources to their modifications. FSF will
not do this, is a different matter altogether.

--
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,
  Kerala, India.

  http://paivakil.port5.com

Thread
License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
  • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
    • RE: License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
      • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
  • Re: License Name?Zak Greant23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?Mike Hillyer23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?St├ęphane Croisier26 Feb
      • Re: License Name?Mahesh T. Pai26 Feb