List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mahesh T. Pai Date:February 26 2004 4:35pm
Subject:Re: License Name?
View as plain text
Stéphane Croisier said on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 04:57:22PM +0100,:

 > internally a fail-over server  with my own proprietary program with
 > both  servers runnning  MySQL,  is it  considered  as an  "internal
 > distribution" and then subject to the viral effect of the GPL?)

This is a wrong assumption. the  GNU GPL comes into play only when you
distribute to other persons.

Ok.  Before you (or somebody else) starts of with `distribution within
the organisation is distribution', please read GNU GPL, #3:-

<quote>
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
</quote>

Comply with #3, and you have complied with the GPL. ;)

 > 2) Free Software means free like in free speech but also like in
 > free beer.

`but also' is an error.

Free software means free like in free speech. Period.

You have the freedom to distribute it free of cost. But nobody compels
you to do so. If you distribute  a binary, of course, you have to give
the source code too. But  then, nobody compelled you to distribute the
binary. Did they??

 > 4) You want to promote collaboration  and community work but if you
 > want to be  able to continue to dual license  MySQL, you (MySQL AB)
 > have  to own  100%  of  the IP  or  exploitation rights.  Otherwise
 > speaking you can  not accept third party contributions  under a GPL
 > agreement only. The  contributor will also have to  provide to you,
 > in  addition to  the  GPL,  an unlimited  right  to sublicense  his
 > modifications.

You are very much right here; except that the contributor will have to
*assign*  his  copyrights; or  agree  to  distribution under  non-free
terms.

--
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,
  Kerala, India.

  http://paivakil.port5.com

Thread
License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
  • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
    • RE: License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
      • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
  • Re: License Name?Zak Greant23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?Mike Hillyer23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?St├ęphane Croisier26 Feb
      • Re: License Name?Mahesh T. Pai26 Feb