List:Community« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:February 23 2004 3:42pm
Subject:Re: License Name?
View as plain text
Hi Mike!

Please note that I am not a lawyer, but I will provide the best answers
that I can here.

On Feb 22, 2004, at 01:53, Mike Hillyer wrote:
> Hello Again;
>
> Now here's another question: MySQL uses the GPL, but it seems like this
> leaves a lot of room for interpretation. In addition, modifications are
> already being made to the license to allow for linking in PHP. Is it
> perhaps
> time to implement the changes as "The MySQL License"?

I think that this would increase the level of confusion about the
licensing.

The license is the GPL, with optional exceptions. This makes it clear
that you can use it just as if it were stock GPL. If you need to do
things that go outside of the GPL, then you can look at the exceptions
or purchase a license for proprietary use.

Also, I like the GPL - I think it is still the best representation of
the community side of our business ideals.

> When MySQL uses the GPL as "The GPL" it makes me wonder whose
> interpretation
> of the GPL is final in licensing issues: is it MySQL AB's
> interpretation or
> the FSF's that applies? Perhaps a naming of "The MySQL Open License"
> and
> "The MySQl Commercial License" would make it clear that the license is
> specific to MySQL and MySQL AB is the final decider.

Neither party is the final interpreter of the GPL. The GPL is based on
copyright law and neither MySQL AB or the Free Software Foundation has
the ability to interpret or pass laws - instead, this is generally the
responsibility of a court.

However, as the copyright holder for the work that is licensed under
the GPL (the various pieces of MySQL software) I think that we do have
to be the ones to enforce the license. Also, I believe that we should
provide guidelines on how we think the license applies.

> Now of course this could potentially piss off a certain number of
> people. I
> can imagine the comments on Slashdot now, some ok and some saying this
> makes
> MySQL non-Open Source. Some would complain that MySQL AB being the
> final
> decider on license interpretation means MySQL AB can always decide in
> their
> favor.
>
> Just one more thing to ponder...

Thanks for the input - I do not think that it is a strong option right
now.

Cheers!
--zak

Thread
License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
  • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
    • RE: License Name?Mike Hillyer22 Feb
      • RE: License Name?Steph22 Feb
  • Re: License Name?Zak Greant23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?Mike Hillyer23 Feb
    • Re: License Name?Stéphane Croisier26 Feb
      • Re: License Name?Mahesh T. Pai26 Feb