List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tomas Ulin Date:October 11 2004 5:26pm
Subject:Re: mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engine
NDB = OFF
View as plain text
Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Tomas Ulin wrote:
>
>> Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:

>>> I put the --ndbcluster switch, and I'd expect mysqld to argue if not
>>> compiled with this option. This is 4.1.5-gamma-debug binaries from
>>> mysql.com
>>>
>> This switch follows the behavior of other handler switches e.g.
>> --innodb --bdb,  neither of which complains if these handlers are
>> compiled.
>

> In the case I'm showing below, mysql is obviously not compiled with
> --ndbcluster (downloaded from mysql.com), but the resulting binary
> accepts this switch. This is not coherent.
>
> MySQL compiled without --ndbcluster *SHOULD COMPLAIN* if I put
> --ndbcluster at run stage. It does not, and complains only about
> --ndb-connectstring, which *is not a mandatory* argument, MySQL indeed
> does not complain about this.
>
> [root@ge mysql-debug-4.1.5-gamma-pc-linux-i686]# ps auxww | grep mysql
> | tail -2 | head -1
> mysql     8948  0.0  3.4 33836 13340 pts/2   S    15:48   0:00
> /usr/src/mysql-debug-4.1.5-gamma-pc-linux-i686/bin/mysqld
> --defaults-extra-file=/usr/src/mysql-debug-4.1.5-gamma-pc-linux-i686/data/my.cnf
> --basedir=/usr/src/mysql-debug-4.1.5-gamma-pc-linux-i686
> --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql
> --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid --skip-locking --port=3307
> --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --ndbcluster
>
> (MySQL accepted the --ndbcluster switch)

Yes, which is in line with --innodb if the mysql server is not compiled
with innodb
eg.

mysqld --innodb &
ok, accepts the switch
and
mysql> show variables like 'have_inn%';
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-------+
| have_innodb   | NO    |
+---------------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I'm not saying I agree with the behavior.  I'm saying that the topic has
a wider scope than --ndbcluster.  You are suggesting:

--innodb
--bdb
--ndbcluster
--isam
and some more switches I guess...

should all give warnings/errors if they are supplied and the support is
compiled in, today they don't.

I will look into why this is done this way.

BR,

Tomas

> [root@ge mysql-debug-4.1.5-gamma-pc-linux-i686]# ./bin/mysql -P 3307
> -h 127.0.0.1
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 3 to server version: 4.1.5-gamma-debug
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql>  show variables like '%ndb%';
> +-----------------+-------+
> | Variable_name   | Value |
> +-----------------+-------+
> | have_ndbcluster | NO    |
> +-----------------+-------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>

> (MySQL is not COHERENT here).
>

> Sincere regards,
>

> Olivier

Thread
mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engine NDB= OFFOlivier Kaloudoff10 Oct
  • Re: mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engineNDB = OFFTomas Ulin11 Oct
Re: mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engineNDB = OFFTomas Ulin11 Oct
Re: mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engineNDB = OFFOlivier Kaloudoff11 Oct
Re: mysqld api node launched with --ndbcluster but storage engineNDB = OFFTomas Ulin11 Oct