List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<paul Date:October 20 2011 1:31pm
Subject:Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD API
View as plain text
Hello,

I'm evaluating MySQL Cluster as a replacement for our current "normal"
MySQL Server. The current server is processing many "update" queries per
second, sent by a client application that always stays connected to the
server. On the other hand, the server is serving "select" queries on the
same table, using clients that disconnect after each query (i.e.,
requests coming from a web server, without connection pooling).

In my evaluation I have observed that MySQL Cluster with two data nodes
offers a superior "update" performance compared to a MySQL Server
instance running on identical hardware. However, performance for the
"select" queries is much worse on MySQL Cluster (using MYSQLD as API).

Apparently MySQL Cluster has much more "overhead" setting up a session
(connection). The difference between MySQL Server and MySQL Cluster is
quite dramatic: In our test set-up MySQL Cluster could only server about
65 connect-select-disconnect cycles, whereas MySQL Server can easily
handle 1000 and more cycles per second. This is quite a show-stopper for
our purposes...

Note that all queries are done using the primary key, and all updates
and selects work on exactly one row. In total our test table contains
100,000 rows. The MySQL Server version used to test was 5.1 and MySQL
Cluster was version 7.2.1 with MySQLD 5.5.

Does anyone else has the same experience with MySQL Cluster? Is there
any way to improve this connect-select-disconnect cycles?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Thread
Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIpaul20 Oct
  • Re: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIJohan Andersson20 Oct
  • Re: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIJonas Oreland20 Oct
RE: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIpaul20 Oct
RE: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIpaul20 Oct
  • Re: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIJohan Andersson20 Oct
    • Re: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIJonas Oreland20 Oct
Re: Slow session (connection) set-up using MySQLD APIJonas Oreland21 Oct