List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mikael ronström Date:February 3 2011 3:17pm
Subject:Re: cluster-plain Digest 2 Feb 2011 12:03:32 -0000 Issue 811
View as plain text
Hi Michael,

The application you describe is a very standard use case for
MySQL Cluster. I don't know all the particulars in your case
but this type of applications is a perfect fit for MySQL
Cluster in most cases.

Rgrds Mikael Ronstrom

On 02/03/2011 03:55 PM, list@stripped wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:17:10 +0100, Oli Sennhauser
> <oli.sennhauser@stripped>  wrote:
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>>> foreign keys are not available when using MySQL Cluster as the storage
>>> engine for a table (InnoDB is the only storage engine that supports
>>> them).
>>> While not ideal there is a workaround that will work for some
>>> applications -
>>> written up here....
>>>
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-enforcing-foreign-keys.ht
>>> ml (basically using stored procedures to enforce the referential
>>> integrity).
>>>

>>> Please excuse my lack of mysql knowledge, as I have not worked with the
>>> software for very long, but we are evaluating mysql cluster for our
>>> deployment of a mysql server farm and have run into a major snafu with
>>> support for foreign key support.   I ran into this problem when
>>> installing
>>> Funambol (a SyncML server) which builds it's mysql database
> automatically
>>> and with a large number of indexes on multiple tables.  Is there a way
>>> enable support for the foreign keys, or are we pretty much out of luck?
>>
>> First of all you have to be aware that MySQL Cluster has only little to
>> do with normal MySQL. So your MySQL knowledge would not really help much
>
>> here.
>> MySQL Cluster is a specialized product (especially for Telcos) and is
>> NOT a general purpose database.
>>
>> This has the effect that you typically will not get the expected results
>
>> when you try it out and you will be disappointed. As long as you run the
>
>> system not at its limits it might work fine but you will not reach the
>> peak performance without explicitly tune your application.
>>
>> Funambol looks to me like such a general purpose application expecting a
>
>> "normal" relational database as a back-end.
>>
>> Now it comes to the question, why do you consider MySQL Cluster? Is it
>> HA or is it performance. When you are interested in performance then I
>> am pretty sure we can achieve the solution with a normal MySQL database
>> (you do not want to rewrite and redesign the whole Funambol, don't you?)
>>
>> When it is about HA and low performance we can consider MySQL Cluster or
>
>> we can think about active/passive fail-over clustering which is
>> typically the used solution in such cases.
>>
>> Just a little site information: InnoDB is NOT the only Storage Engine
>> which knows about Foreign Key constraints. PBXT knows about it as well,
>> and possibly a few others as well...
>>
>> If you are interested we can assist you in a Architecture and Design
>> Engagement or a MySQL Cluster Jump-start.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Oli
>
> Oli,
>
> Thanks for the information, much appreciated.  A little history, we have
> been working with MySQL itself for a number of years as our database for
> [...]

Thread
Re: cluster-plain Digest 2 Feb 2011 12:03:32 -0000 Issue 811list3 Feb
  • Re: cluster-plain Digest 2 Feb 2011 12:03:32 -0000 Issue 811Mikael ronström3 Feb
    • Re: cluster-plain Digest 2 Feb 2011 12:03:32 -0000 Issue 811david3 Feb
      • Re: cluster-plain Digest 2 Feb 2011 12:03:32 -0000 Issue 811Johan Andersson3 Feb