List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yves Trudeau Date:September 23 2010 7:24pm
Subject:Re: Performance and Scalability and cluster
View as plain text
Hi Jeff,
  my answers are embedded.

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 10:11 -0400, Schweiger, Jeff - ES wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that I am trying to wrap my head around, and I am
> hoping someone in this group can help me.  We have been testing
> cluster for a while now, and we have liked how cluster has performed
> thus far.  However, before we move into deploying cluster, I would
> like to know the answers to a couple of scalability questions.
>
> On our current system, we have 4 data nodes, and 2 mysqld nodes that
> run about 60,000 queries a minute.  We expect our traffic to increase
> significantly over the next couple of years, and I am look for some
> guides, or any  source of information  that will help answer the
> following questions.
>
> 1.  How can get a determination of how my cluster configuration is
> performing.  Given my 4 data node, 2 mysqld nodes, 60,000 query a
> minute load, how close am I to impacting performance?

You know, 60k queries/min is not that large for cluster although it
depends on the queries.  How is the load of your servers at 60k/s?  Can
you estimate what will be the first bottleneck?

> 2.  Is there any benchmark data out there?

Cluster is extremely app dependent so your app is the best benchmark you
have.

> 3.  How do I know when/how to add nodes to the cluster?  For example,
> what is the deference between adding a mysqld node, and a data node,
> and how do I know when it would be necessary to add either?

If you are out of memory space in the data nodes and/or CPU usage is
high there, then it might be an indication that more data nodes are
needed.  If you can design your applications and schema in a way that a
business logic rule hit only one node group, then you'll have a very
scalable application.

About the same for MySQL.  The rule of thumb is more MySQL nodes than
data nodes although since MySQL can now use a pool of connections to the
NDB cluster, it is less true.

> 4.  Is there any tips/procedures used to measure performance of
> cluster?

It depends what is important for you, throughput and/or latency.  Tuning
for NDB and your application is critical there.

Regards,

Yves

> Thank for any help you can provide.
>
> Jeff Schweiger
> jeff.schweiger@stripped
> 44965 Aviation Dr. Suite 400
> Dulles, VA 20166

Thread
Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Ricardo Soares Guimarães26 Jul
  • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Dan Frincu26 Jul
    • Performance and Scalability and clusterJeff - ES Schweiger23 Sep
  • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Dan Frincu26 Jul
  • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Stewart Smith26 Jul
    • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Ricardo Soares Guimarães26 Jul
      • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Jason Brooke26 Jul
  • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.David Ennis26 Jul
    • Re: Converting MyISAM with 300GB to NDB.Ricardo Soares Guimarães27 Jul
  • Re: Performance and Scalability and clusterYves Trudeau23 Sep
    • RE: Performance and Scalability and clusterJeff - ES Schweiger23 Sep
      • Re: Performance and Scalability and clusterAdam Dixon23 Sep
        • RE: Performance and Scalability and clusterAndrew Morgan24 Sep
          • High availability implementationramarovelo28 Sep
            • RE: High availability implementationAndrew Morgan28 Sep
              • Re: High availability implementationMat Keep28 Sep
              • Re: High availability implementationramarovelo28 Sep
      • Re: Performance and Scalability and clusterMikael Ronstrošm24 Sep