List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Devananda Date:August 31 2004 8:02pm
Subject:Re: Database Storage Capacity.
View as plain text
Faraz Khan wrote:
> So is it possible at all to setup a terabyte database with Mysql at the
> moment?
>
> I basically need a DB with 6-10TB storage capacity and ease of growth.
> I guess I can go with software raid and md devices / nfs but would a single
> Mysql server be able to handle that database size?
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming 24GB ram per machine, 2 replicas, you would need ~80 DB nodes
to reach 1 TB ... this would be increadibly expensive and seems to me
actually not at all what you are looking for.

The MySQL Cluster provides "In Memory" storage that is also supported by
all the data being saved to disk (unlike other in memory engines).
However, this means that you would have to keep ALL your data in RAM,
ALL the time. (Did I hear Mikael say they are thinking of changing
this???) For a large DB (10-50GB), this could be a huge benefit, but to
one that is 10TB ... it is, as far as I know, impractical at this point
to put that into a cluster.

FYI, we just looked into putting a 75-100GB table into the cluster, but
figured out that we can house the same table by load balancing
traditional InnoDB databases across ~4 servers, rather than across ~16
with the cluster.

Devananda
Neopets, Inc
Thread
Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
  • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
    • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström30 Aug
      • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Olivier Kaloudoff30 Aug
        • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity. (addendum)Devananda31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Clint Byrum31 Aug
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.John David Duncan1 Sep
              • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Faraz Khan1 Sep
          • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Mikael Ronström1 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Devananda2 Sep
            • Re: Database Storage Capacity.Douglas K. Fischer4 Sep
      • New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug
        • Re: New TransportTomas Ulin31 Aug
          • Re: New TransportMikael Ronström31 Aug
            • Re: New TransportSundeep Narravula31 Aug